COVID-19 Update & Dental Office Protocols
A Letter From David J. Poiman
To our family of patients…and their families, friends, neighbors, and co-workers:
We hope this email finds you and your family in good health. Our community has been through a lot over the last few months, and all of us are looking forward to resuming our normal habits and routines. Our strict processes have consistently made the care you receive at NY Center for Esthetic and Laser Dentistry both safe and comfortable.
Our office follows infection control recommendations made by the American Dental Association (ADA), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). We continue to closely monitor the recommendations of these agencies so that we are up-to-date on any new rulings or guidance that may be issued.
You will notice several changes in our office:
- Patient safety starts with Doctors and Staff. To that end all of our office will be tested prior to returning to work. We will provide temperature screening in the beginning and at the end of the workday. On site Covid-19 antibody testing will be performed on the weekly basis.
- Our Staff and Doctors will be wearing extensive personal protective equipment (PPE) as per CDC mandated guidelines
- To minimize your time in the office, our staff will communicate with you ahead of your visit to conduct general health screening and assess those answers. The same questions will be asked at your appointment time. If you wish to have a Covid-19 testing performed prior to your visit at the convenience of your home we have partnered up with ZiphyCare: https://ziphycare.com/.
- We will ask you to remotely update all insurance profiles, medical histories, and other required paperwork online before your actual appointment, again to minimize interactions while in the office.
- We will ask you to please bring a mask to your dental appointment. If you do not have one, please let us know in advance.
- To keep you better informed, we ask that all patients sign up for text notifications as part of our virtual waiting room procedures, again to minimize your wait time in the reception area of the office.
- To protect you and your fellow patients we will kindly request that all patients come unaccompanied to their appointments unless there is an expressed need for an aide or other companion that has been approved in advance.
- In order to maintain safe social distance practices, we ask that you text us from the building lobby to let us know when you have arrived. We will notify you when we are ready for you to come up to the office. We will complete the screening questions again, take your temperature with a temporal thermometer, and address any business with the front office.
- We have hand sanitizer throughout the office for you to use. We will ask you to use it when you enter the office. You are free to use it at other areas in the office as needed.
- We will make every effort to bring you directly into the treatment room, avoiding any time spent in the waiting area.
- If you are bringing your own items such as books, magazines, headphones, etc. we may ask you to wipe them down with provided solution chair side.
- Treatment team members will be wearing extensive personal protective equipment (PPE) as per CDC mandated guidelines.
- Patients also may be required to wear protective gear as needed for an appointment.
- We have designed a patient flow to allow for physical distancing between patients. This has resulted in fewer appointment times available per day. Please be patient and understanding with appointment scheduling.
- We will continue to disinfect the office as per usual, however, we have now installed a new air filtration and decontamination system which utilizes non-chemical ultra-low energy plasma technology, which is powerful enough to destroy pathogens on contact, yet gentle enough for continued use around even vulnerable populations. These units are designed for rapid remediation in situations where infection risk is elevated. This system is now found in numerous intensive care units and emergency rooms across the country dealing with COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.
- We have also purchased units which create batches of non-hazardous, eco-friendly, antiviral, electrolyzed water solutions that can be used as a fog to eliminate airborne contaminants. The solution breaks down into salt water after use and poses no environmental or personal risk.
- We have intraoral high-volume vacuum systems to aid in eliminating 90% of harmful aerosols generated through dental procedures.
- After your treatment is complete, we will ask you to stay seated in the treatment room. We will likely complete your payment, if required, and appointment scheduling in the treatment room and help direct you out of the office to help maintain social distancing.
We look forward to seeing you again and are happy to answer any questions you may have about the steps we take to keep you, and every patient, safe in our practice. To make an appointment, please call our office at 212-371-1414 or visit our website at www.nylaserdentist.com
Thank you for being our patient. We value your trust and loyalty and look forward to welcoming back our patients, neighbors and friends in the safest way possible.
David J. Poiman DMD, FAGD and team
Effective immediately, the following conditions and protocols are in place at Family Dentistry of New York:
COVID-19 Protocol: Updated May 26, 2020
- Please wear a mask when entering the office
- Use hand-sanitizer upon entering the office
- Practice Social Distancing
- Staff will wear personal protective equipment (PPE) and follow universal precautions as per the CDC
- All SDNJ team members are health screened daily
- Covid-19 exposure screening on the phone prior to your visit
- Reschedule is someone from your household has been sick within 14 days
- Please be patient as we try to accommodate everyone
- We ask that those who come to our office with a companion, limited it only 1 additional person as to allow for adequate socially distant space in our atrium waiting area.
- Review of Covid-19 exposure screen in person.
- Forehead temperatures will be taken for every patient and each patient companion (guardian, spouse, relative, nurse, etc.)
- Use the restroom and wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds BEFORE entering treatment areas
- Patients will be provided with an antibacterial/microbial rinse prior to all treatments.
- Patients will be provided with protective eye-wear to wear during all treatments.
- Patients will be asked to leave the treatment room wearing their mask.
- Observe social distancing best practices. Please be patients as we will be limited to 2 patients checking out a front desk at a time.
- Patients are considered to manage payment over the phone (provide credit card in advance of treatment) or to “pre-write” checks at home, to facilitate a quick check-out and avoid crowding at the front desk.
My amazing dental team and I want to THANK YOU for entrusting us with caring for your oral health! We value our relationships with you, and we assure you that we are doing everything we can to continue to provide you with excellent experiences in our office. We are also dedicated to protecting your health, and the health of all those in our communities and beyond.
If you have ANY questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us via the following methods:
When facing these challenging and uncertain times, we can overcome virtually anything when we all work together. We offer our prayers and warmest thoughts and wishes to you and your families and friends. We will emerge from this stronger, wiser, and better prepared for the next challenges that come our way!
All our best,
David J. Poiman DMD, FAGD
New York Center for Esthetic & Laser Dentistry
57 west 57 st. Suite 605
New York, NY 10019
Know the Symptoms
While Dr. Poiman strives to increase his knowledge in the field of dentistry and share it with his patients, he has created a warm and friendly environment where 'going to the dentist' is simply more fun.